Dang Gui Bu Xue for Anemia in Dogs
One of my favorite natural treatments for anemia in dogs is Dang Gui Bu Xue.
Dang Gui Bu Xue, also known as Danggui Buxue Tang, is a traditional Chinese herbal formula. It translates to “Dang Gui Tonify Blood Decoction” in English.
The formula has two main ingredients: Dang Gui (Angelica sinensis) and Huang Qi (Astragalus membranaceous).
Dang Gui is a popular herb in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM). TCM practitioners recommend it for its blood-nourishing properties, while Huang Qi is revered for its ability to tonify Qi (vital energy) and strengthen the body’s defensive functions.
Historically, TCM practitioners used Dang Gui Bu Xue in humans to tonify and invigorate blood, promote circulation, and support overall health.
It helps human health problems like
- blood deficiency
- menstrual irregularities
The formula also helps nourish the blood and boost vitality.
Dang Gui Bu Xue from a Western Standpoint
I practice veterinary medicine from both a Western and Eastern standpoint.
The Western Medical indications for this Dang Gi Bu Xue are anemia and fever after acute blood loss due to parturition (labor and delivery).
However, I use it most often for anemia in dogs.
Western herbalism focuses mainly on the effects of single herbs. Sometimes a single herb is used alone; other times, a few herbs are combined into a formula.
Angelica provides several medical effects for dogs suffering from anemia:
- Blood nourishment: Angelica promotes the production of blood and enhances blood circulation. It contains compounds such as ferulic acid, which may support the formation of red blood cells.
- Iron absorption: Angelica improves iron absorption and utilization, an essential mineral for red blood cell production. By facilitating iron metabolism, it helps address certain types of anemia caused by iron deficiency.
- Immune system support: Western herbalists traditionally used Angelica for its immunomodulatory properties. Supporting the immune system, it aids in addressing underlying conditions contributing to anemia.
Astragalus provides several medical benefits for dogs suffering from anemia:
- Immune system modulation: Astragalus is known for its immunomodulatory properties. It enhances immune function, stimulates white blood cell production, and supports the body’s defense mechanisms. By strengthening the immune system, astragalus addresses underlying factors contributing to anemia in dogs.
- Anti-inflammatory effects: Anemia in dogs can sometimes be associated with underlying inflammatory conditions. Researchers have studied Astragalus for its anti-inflammatory properties. It helps reduce inflammation, potentially contributing to managing anemia caused by inflammatory processes.
- Antioxidant activity: Astragalus contains various antioxidants, including flavonoids and polysaccharides. These compounds have antioxidant effects, which can help protect cells and tissues from damage caused by oxidative stress. Astragalus contributes to overall health and well-being in dogs with anemia by reducing oxidative stress.
Dang Gui Bu Xue from an Eastern Standpoint
Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine (TCVM) practitioners evaluate health challenges differently than Western medicine.
The TCVM indications for Dang Gi Bu Xue are:
- Blood and Qi deficiency
- consumptive fatigue
- fever after an acute loss of blood
- a pulse that is large and weak
- being thirsty for warm water
- a tongue that is pale and dry
- warm ears and body surfaces
- Yang floating with Heat
The Chinese treatment principles for this herbal blend are to tonify Qi and generate Blood.
- Dang Gui (Angelica) to tonify and move Blood, resolve stagnation, and relieve pain
- Huang Qi (Astragalus) to tonify Qi
Dang Gui Bu Xue is derived from the ancient Chinese herbal formula Dang Gui Bu Xue Tang from Nei wai Shang Bian Huo Lun, written in 1247 by Li Ao.
Our clients have seen remarkable improvements in the health conditions of their pets by using herbal blends to take care of various health issues.
Please contact our clinic anytime if you have questions about herbal remedies!