Pu Ji Xiao Du Yin is a TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine) herbal blend that helps acute tonsillitis and lymphadenitis in dogs, cats, and horses.
The Western Medical indication for this formula is acute tonsillitis, cellulitis of the head and face, lymphadenitis, parotitis, and purulent otitis media.
The Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine indications for this formula are acute and massive febrile disorder of the head and/or face due to seasonal epidemic, head toxin, a pulse that is slippery and forceful, sudden onset of fever, sore throat, a tongue that is red, Wind-Heat, and redness, swelling, heat and pain in the head and face.
At our clinic, pets often receive an Eastern exam (Traditional Chinese Medicine) in combination with the standard veterinary exam. Traditional Chinese Medicine philosophy is very different than our standard Western medical philosophy. Traditional Chinese Medicine focuses on balance and finding the cause of the problem rather than simply masking symptoms with prescription medicines. Through Eastern examination techniques, we can choose herbal blends that will both treat symptoms and at the same time correct the imbalances in your pet’s body that are causing the symptoms. This herb is only one of the many TCM herbal blends available for our doctors to choose from based on the the results of the Eastern exam.
Pu Ji Xiao Du Yin is an herbal blend specially formulated with herbs specifically chosen to work synergistically to relieve symptoms of acute tonsillitis and lymphadenitis while at the same time addressing the underlying causes of these symptoms. The Chinese principles of treatment for this herbal blend are to clear Heat, eliminate Fire toxins, and disperse Wind-Heat.
The main ingredients in the Pu Ji Xiao Du Yin formula are:
- Ban Lan Gen (Isatis) to clear Fire Toxin and detoxify
- Bo He (Mentha) to clear Wind-Heat
- Chai Hu (Bupleurum) to clear Wind-Heat
- Chen Pi (Citrus) to move Qi
- Gen Cao (Glycyrrhiza) to Harmonize
- Huang Lian (Coptis) to clear Damp-Heat and detoxify
- Huqng Qin (Scutellaria) to clear Damp-Heat and detoxify
- Jiang Can (Bombyx) to detoxify, smoothen throat, and transform phlegm
- Jie Geng (Platycodon) to open the Lung and transform phlegm
- Jin Yin Hua (Lonicera) to clear Fire-Toxin, detoxify, clear Wind-heat
- Lian Qiao (Forsythia) to clear Fire-Toxin, detoxify
- Niu Bang Zi (Arctium) to clear Wind-Heat
- Sheng Ma (Cimcifuga) to clear Wind-Heat
- Xuan Shen (Scrophularia) to cool Blood
This herbal blend is derived from the ancient Chinese herbal formula Pu Ji Xiao Du Yin from Yi Fang Ji Jie which was written in 1682 by Wang Ang.
Our clients have seen wonderful improvements in the health conditions of their pets using herbal blends to take care of a variety of health issues.
Please contact our clinic at any time if you have questions about herbal remedies!
Source: Dr. Xie’s Jing Tang Herbal
Written by: Becki Baumgartner