Pet obesity problems can be very detrimental to the health of your trusted companion and are the cause of many chronic medical conditions.
Obesity causes stress in all aspects of your pet’s health. Animals are very good at adapting and hiding symptoms, causing health issues to go unnoticed until they are a serious problem. If your pet is overweight, you may want to consider scheduling a wellness examination and bloodwork with your veterinarian to rule out any hidden health issues
PET OBESITY PROBLEMS CAN CAUSE THE FOLLOWING HEALTH ISSUES:
- Slipped disc
- Torn or strained ligaments
- Respiratory problems associated with endurance and exercise
- Heart problems from overwork
- Liver disease
- Dystocia (difficulty in giving birth)
- Heat stroke (due to a decreased ability to control body temperature)
- Skin problems
- Excessive gas and/or constipation
- Lowered resistance to disease.
- Anal gland impaction and infection
- Increased risk for anesthesia and surgery
Obesity reduces your pets lifespan and quality of life!
CAUSES OF OBESITY:
- Lowered metabolism
- Emotional trauma
- Hormonal imbalances
- Lack of exercise
- OVEREATING (90% of all cases)
TIPS FOR TREATING PET OBESITY PROBLEMS
- Decrease food intake 40%
- Spread the total daily ration throughout the day
- Give several small feedings rather than one or two larger meals.
- Do not give snacks (Your pet cares more about the attention it gets than the snack.)
- Give your pet a pet multivitamin
- Keep the pet out of the kitchen/dining area at meal times.
- Expect your pet to lose 1-2 pounds each week maximum.
Our clinic is glad to help you with eliminating and preventing pet obesity problems. We have experienced success with several different holistic and homemade food programs and can also provide information and advice concerning alternative, holistic, and herbal options. We are interested in all phases of disease prevention, and will work closely with you to reduce your pet’s weight and help with any other issues that may arise!
Click Here to Learn about the Holistic Pet Food Created by Our Veterinarians