Why Post Surgery Rehabilitation for Dogs is So Important
Following a major surgery such as Cruciate Ligament Surgery, physical therapy helps put your dog back to his old self fast.
A post-surgery rehabilitation protocol ensures that your dog heals properly and achieves the maximum range of motion and flexibility possible.
Oftentimes, aggressive post-surgical rehab makes the difference in whether or not surgery is successful.
Video Showing Post Surgery Rehabilitation for Dogs: Cruciate Ligament Surgery
The video below shows you how to perform post-surgery rehabilitation exercises for a dog recovering from Cruciate Ligament Surgery.
Therapy exercises should be started 24 hours after surgery.
It WILL hurt!! Your dog’s knee will be painful. Do NOT get bit!!
The video shows you a simple, straightforward range of motion exercise.
How Often to Perform The Exercises
The biggest problem owners face is determining how aggressively to perform the exercises.
My answer is the following:
- Do the exercises as often as you can
- Minimally, take the limb the full, maximum range of motion your pet allows
In other words, flex and extend the limb to the point of pain then stop.
Each day you should be able to get a little bit further.
By following these rehabilitation recommendations, you will see a dramatic improvement in return to function, maintenance of muscle mass, and ultimately a better outcome from the surgical procedure.
Powerful Tools to Help Your Dog’s Ligament Challenges
You can make many quick and easy changes at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing tendon and ligament challenges.
- Learn more about torn ligaments and cruciate disease.
- Provide joint support. PET | TAO Harmonize Joint is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to lubricate and restore your dog’s joints.
- Ease your dog’s discomfort naturally. PET | TAO’s Comfort is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog’s arthritic challenges to make him/her more comfortable.
- Try PET | TAO Freeze Dried Beef Liver Treats. According to TCVM, the liver controls tendons and ligaments. As few as 5-6 treats per day can make a huge difference in your dog’s tendon and ligament health!
- Try a Blood-building TCVM Diet. PET | TAO Zing dog food builds Blood. According to TCVM, Blood deficiency leads to ligament tears.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for ligament and cruciate challenges. Some good examples are: