How is Blood Heat Formula used as an alternative herbal medicine for pets?Blood Heat Formula is a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) herbal blend that helps with autoimmune disease in dogs, cats, and horses. The indications are autoimmune diseases (systemic lupus erythematosus), crusts, depigmentation, erosions of thin-skinned areas (axilla, periocular skin), erythema, immune-mediated diseases due to Blood-Heat, a pulse that is forceful and fast, a tongue that is red, and ulceration of the planum nasale. At our clinic, pets often receive an Eastern exam (TCM) in combination with the standard veterinary exam. TCM philosophy is very different than our standard Western medical philosophy. TCM focuses on balance and finding the cause of the problem, rather than simply masking symptoms with prescription medicines. Eastern examination techniques, we can choose herbal blends that will both treat symptoms and at the same time correct the imbalances in your pet’s body that are causing the symptoms. This herbal blend is only one of the many TCM herbal blends available to our doctors.
The Main Ingredients in the Blood Heat Formula
- Chi Shao (Paeonia) to cool Blood and clear Heat
- Dan Shen (Salvia) to cool Blood and activate Blood
- Di Fu Zi (Kochia) to clear Heat and detoxify
- Huang Bai (Phellodendron) to clear Heat and detoxify
- Mai Men Dong (Ophiopogon) to nourish Yin
- Mu Dan Pi (Moutan) to cool Blood, move Blood, and eliminate stagnation
- Shen Di Huang (Rehmannia) to cool Blood and nourish Yin
- Xuan Shen (Scrophularia) to cool Blood, clear Heat, and resolve nodules
- Yu Jin (Curcuma) to cool Blood, clear Heat, and detoxify.