The summer and fall months often bring our clinic cases of dogs and cats with dry itching skin.
The symptoms of dry itching skin can be caused by several factors. Oftentimes the cause is seasonal allergies, skin allergies, flea allergies or certain imbalances within an animal’s system. We have recently seen a pattern of dogs and cats with this type of issue that can be helped with Wind Toxin, a Traditional Chinese Medicine Herbal Blend.
At our clinic, pets often receive an Eastern exam (Traditional Chinese Medicine) in combination with the standard veterinary exam. Traditional Chinese Medicine philosophy is very different than our standard Western medical philosophy. Traditional Chinese Medicine focuses on balance and finding the cause of the problem rather than simply masking symptoms with prescription medicines. Through Eastern examination techniques, we can choose herbal blends that will both treat symptoms and at the same time correct the imbalances in your pet’s body that are causing the symptoms. Wind Toxin is only one of the many TCM herbal blends available for our doctors to choose from based on the the results of the Eastern exam.
Wind Toxin is an herbal blend specially formulated with herbs specifically chosen to work synergistically to relieve the symptoms of dry, itching skin while at the same time addressing the underlying causes of these symptoms. It is very effective in in treating skin itching caused by wind-heat or wind-toxin. It will clear Wind and Heat, detoxify, and alleviate itching.
This veterinary herbal formula is based on an ancient Chinese formula Xiao Feng San found in the text Shi Yi De Xiao Feng written in 1395 by the Chinese herbalist Wei Yi-Lin.
The main ingredients in Wind Toxin are:
- Bai Ji Li (Tribulus) to clear wind and alleviate itching
- Biz Xian Pi (Dictamnus) to clear Damp Heat and kill scabies
- Bia Zhu (Atractylodes) to strengthen Spleen
- Chi Shao (Paeonia) to cool down Blood
- Dang Gui (Angelica) to invigorate Blood
- Fang Feng (Ledebouriella) to clear Wind
- Fu Ling (Poria) to eliminate Damp and Strengthen Spleen
- He Shou Wu (Polygonum) to tonify Blood and Yin
- Jin Yin Hua (Lonicera) to detoxify and alleviate itching
- Jing Jie (Shizonepta) to clear wind, open the skin, and alleviate itching
- Ju Hua (Chrysanthemum) to clear heat, detoxify, and relieve swollen glands
- Ku Shen (Sophora) to detoxify and alleviate itching
- Xuan Shen (Scrophularia) to clear Damp Heat and relieve swollen glands
- Zhi Zi (Gardenia) to clear Damp Heat and detoxify
Our clients have seen wonderful improvements in the health conditions of their pets using herbal blends to take care of a variety of health issues. Please contact our clinic at any time if you have questions about herbal remedies!
Source: Dr. Xie’s Jing Tang Herbal