What is External Wind?
It is very helpful for soothing dermatitis and flea allergy in dogs and cats.
Will External Wind Help Your Pet?
If your dog or cat suffers from dermatitis or flea allergies, External Wind just might be the answer.
Dr. Smith recommends often recommends it in his clinic for both health challenges.
The Western Medical indications for External Wind are:
- Contact hypersensitivities,
TCVM assesses pet health challenges a little differently than regular Western veterinary medicine does. TCVM looks for the root cause of the imbalance and works to create harmony and balance, thus eliminating the challenge.
The TCVM indications for External Wind are:
- Hypersensitive skin
- Superficial and fast pulse
- Skin allergy due to Wind
- Itchy skin
- Purple or red tongue
At Natchez Trace Veterinary Services, Dr. Smith offers an Eastern exam (TCVM) in combination with the standard veterinary exam.
Traditional Chinese Medicine philosophy is different from standard Western medical philosophy.
TCVM focuses on balance and finding the cause of the problem rather than simply masking symptoms with prescription medicines.
Therefore, the exam is different as well. Dr. Smith does pulse and tongue testing to help determine the root cause of your pet’s health challenges.
Through various Eastern examination techniques, Dr. Smith chooses herbal blend(s) to treat your pet’s symptoms.
And, at the same time, the herbs alleviate the imbalances causing the symptoms.
However, External Wind is only one of the many TCVM herbal blends available for Dr. Smith to choose from based on the results of the Eastern exam.
Sometimes, the TCVM exam uncovers root causes best treated by a different herbal blend.
What are the Ingredients in External Wind?
External Wind Formula is an herbal blend for relieving the symptoms of dermatitis and flea allergy while at the same time addressing the underlying causes of the symptoms.
Its Chinese Principles of Treatment are:
- Clearing external Wind
- Alleviating itching
- Cooling Blood
- Activating Blood
Clinical studies done on External Wind have proven it:
- Inhibits the production of IgE
- Increases cAMP concentration to inhibit the release of mast cell contents
- cAMP and cGMP are secondary messengers. When cAMP and cGMP values are maintained at a certain level, the body is in equilibrium. (This is called Yin and Yang balance in Traditional Chinese Medicine.) When cAMP is increased, the immune response is inhibited. When cGMP is increased, the immune response is increased.
The main ingredients in the External Wind formula are:
- Bai Xian Pi (Dictamnus) to kill scabies
- Cang Er Zi (Xanthium) to clear Wind and open the Lung
- Chi Shao (Paeonia) to cool Blood and clear Heat
- Di Fu Zi (Kochia) to clear Wind and benefit skin
- Jiang Can (Bombyx) to clear Wind and detoxify
- Jing Jie (Schizonepeta) to clear Wind-Cold and relieve itching
- Mu Dan Pi (Moutan) to cool Blood and activate Blood
NTVS clients have seen wonderful improvements in the health conditions of their pets using herbal blends to take care of a variety of health issues.
Please contact our clinic if you have questions about herbal remedies or would like a consultation with Dr. Smith.