External Wind Formula is a TCM herbal blend that can be very helpful for dermatitis and flea allergy in dogs and cats.
The Western Medical Indications for this herbal formula are atopy, contact hypersensitivities, and flea-allergic dermatitis.
The Traditional Chinese Medicine indications for this herbal blend are hypersensitive skin, a pulse that is superficial and fast, restlessness, skin allergy due the to wind, skin itching, and scratching, and a tongue that is purple or red.
At our clinic, pets often receive an Eastern exam (Traditional Chinese Medicine) in combination with the standard veterinary exam. Traditional Chinese Medicine philosophy is very different than our standard Western medical philosophy. Traditional Chinese Medicine focuses on balance and finding the cause of the problem rather than simply masking symptoms with prescription medicines. Through Eastern examination techniques, we can choose herbal blends that will both treat symptoms and at the same time correct the imbalances in your pet’s body that are causing the symptoms. Wind Toxin is only one of the many TCM herbal blends available for our doctors to choose from based on the the results of the Eastern exam.
The External Wind Formula is an herbal blend specially formulated with herbs specifically chosen to work synergistically to relieve the symptoms of arthritis and chronic joint pain while at the same time addressing the underlying causes of these symptoms. It’s Chinese Principles of Treatment are to clear external Wind, detoxify, alleviate itching, cool Blood and activate Blood.
Clinical studies on the External Wind formula have proven the following effects:
- Inhibits the production of IgE
- Increases cAMP concentration to inhibit the release of mast cell contents
- cAMP and cGMP are secondary messengers. When cAMP and cGMP values are maintained at a certain level, the body is in equilibrium. (This is called Yin and Yang balance in Traditional Chinese Medicine.) When cAMP is increased, the immune response is inhibited. When cGMP is increased, the immune response is increased.
The main ingredients in the External Wind formula are:
- Bai Xian Pi (Dictamnus) to kill scabies
- Cang Er Zi (Xanthium) to clear Wind and open the Lung
- Chi Shao (Paeonia) to cool Blood and clear Heat
- Di Fu Zi (Kochia) to clear Wind and benefit skin
- Jiang Can (Bombyx) to clear Wind and detoxify
- Jing Jie (Schizonepeta) to clear Wind-Cold and relieve itching
- Mu Dan Pi (Moutan) to cool Blood and activate Blood
Our clients have seen wonderful improvements in the health conditions of their pets using herbal blends to take care of a variety of health issues. Please contact our clinic at any time if you have questions about herbal remedies!
Source: Dr. Xie’s Jing Tang Herbal