What Are Kidney Stones?
Kidney stones are crystalline structured mineral deposits that form in the kidney. They are usually comprised of a compound called calcium oxalate, but can form from other materials. Kidney stones can be very small and pass unnoticed through the urinary tract, or can become as large as golf balls and eventually block the path of urine leaving the body. Scientists at the Mayo Clinic have indicated that humans with kidney stones are at a significantly higher risk of developing chronic kidney disease.
What Causes Kidney Stones?
Lack of water is the leading cause of kidney stones. This happens because there is not enough water to dilute the uric acid in the system. This in turn causes the pH level in the kidneys to drop and become more acidic. The excessively acidic environment caused by this process creates an environment conducive to the formation of kidney stones.
Some risk factors for kidney stones are:
- previous kidney stone occurrence
- diet high in protein and sodium but low in calcium
- sedentary lifestyle
- high blood pressure
- inflammatory bowel disease
- chronic diarrhea
Symptoms of Kidney Stones:
- reduced amount of urine secreted
- blood in urine
- nausea and vomiting
- severe pain the side and/or groin
- pus or white blood cells in urine
- persistent urge to urinate
- burning sensation during urination
- chills and fever (if there is an infection)
Holistic Kidney Stone Support Protocol
There are several things you can do to help your dog avoid kidney stones.
- Water. Make sure your dog drinks enough water. Distilled water is an excellent choice as it will help draw the excess minerals out of the kidneys. A healthy dog should drink an average of 1/2 to 1 ounce of water per pound of body weight per day.
- Special Diet. Your veterinarian can prescribe a special diet or diet plan that will help prevent the formation of kidney stones. Our clinic offers a special diet program based on the principles of Eastern Food Therapy utilizing the products Pet-Tao Pet Foods.
- Supplements. Our clinic recommends a Holistic Kidney Stone Protocol of the following supplements to help prevent kidney stones:
- Traditional Chinese Medicine. Our doctors can perform an Eastern TCM exam on your dog and find out what the root cause of the kidney stone issue is, and prescribe TCM herbals to provide holistic balance and homeostasis. This will help resolve the cause of the kidney stones and keep them from being an issue in the future.