What is Tibial Tuberosity Advancement for Dogs (TTA Surgery)?
Tibial Tuberosity Advancement for Dogs (TTA Surgery) is the newest and most innovative canine knee surgery to date.
Natchez Trace Veterinary Services in Nashville, TN, and Franklin, TN is pleased to have the ability to provide Tibial Tuberosity Advancement for Dogs (TTA Surgery) for our clients in need of this service for their pets.
This type of surgery is used to repair the rupture of the Cranial Cruciate Ligament (CCL), also frequently referred to as the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL).
The Cranial Cruciate Ligament connects the two main bones of the knee joint, the femur (upper part of the joint) and the tibia (lower part of the joint).
The Cranial Cruciate Ligament helps prevent excess motion between the femur and the tibia.
Rupture of this ligament is a very common injury in dogs and can lead to degenerative joint disease if left untreated.
Surgery is basically the only option when a dog ruptures a Cranial Cruciate Ligament.
After the ligament is torn, every time the dog tries to bear weight on the leg the force of the weight on its leg causes the femur to slide backward on the tibial plateau surface.
This causes further arthritic damage to the joint. This movement can also damage the joint’s cartilage pads (menisci) which can lead to constant pain.
Watch Tibial Tuberosity Advancement for Dogs (TTA Surgery) Being Performed
Is TTA Surgery the Only Option?
As mentioned earlier, after the ligament is torn, surgery is the only option.
However, there are other surgical options for dogs with this type of injury.
- Lateral Suture Procedures
- TightRope (Lateral Suture Procedure variation)
If your dog has sustained an injury that you feel may be helped by this type of procedure, you can request a consultation with Dr. Smith.
During the consultation, Dr. Smith will examine and evaluate your pet.
He will explain:
- All of the options available for your pet’s particular health situation
- The pros and cons of each
- What he feels would be the best method of treatment to suit your pet’s individual needs
- What will work best in relation to your long-term goals for your pet
If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation, please let us know!
More Powerful Tools to Help Your Dog’s Ligament Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing tendon and ligament challenges.
- Learn more about torn ligaments and cruciate disease.
- Provide joint support. PET | TAO Harmonize Joint is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to lubricate and restore your dog’s tendons, ligaments, and joints.
- Ease your dog’s discomfort naturally. PET | TAO’s Comfort is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog’s arthritic challenges to make him/her more comfortable.
- Try PET | TAO Freeze Dried Beef Liver Treats. According to TCVM, the liver controls tendons and ligaments. As few as 5-6 treats per day can make a huge difference in your dog’s tendon and ligament health!
- Try a Blood-building TCVM Diet. PET | TAO Zing dog food builds Blood. According to TCVM, Blood deficiency leads to ligament tears.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for ligament and cruciate challenges. Some good examples are: