Why Use Zyrtec for Dog Allergies and Itchy Skin?
A dog suffering from allergies or itchy skin can be very restless and feel uncomfortable.
In some cases, these dogs may have a problem getting some shut-eye too.
Giving your pet the right kind of medication with the right dosage is essential.
An over-the-counter medication, called Zyrtec, often provides quick and easy allergy relief for dogs.
Zyrtec is safe for both dog allergies and or itchy skin. And, it has proven a lot of successful treatments over the years.
If your dog suffers from any of the symptoms listed below, you might benefit from using Zyrtec for dog allergies.
Zyrtec may help:
- Seasonal allergy symptoms
- Skin allergy symptoms
- Itchy insect bites
- Reactions to poison oak or poison ivy
- Other itchy, allergy-like situations
As mentioned earlier, Zyrtec (cetirizine) is an over-the-counter antihistamine pharmaceutical that can be purchased at any local drugstore.
Cetirizine is the generic name for the name brand product Zyrtec.
In other words, you could use Zyrtec (name brand) or Cetirizine (generic brand) to help your dog.
Zyrtec Warnings and Contraindications for Dogs
WARNING: Do not give your dog ZYRTEC-D. ZYRTEC-D contains ingredients that can be toxic to your dog.
Before giving Zyrtec for dog allergies or itchy skin, always double-check the package label and make sure the only active ingredient in the product is cetirizine.
Drowsiness is a common side effect of Zyrtec.
The standard recommended dosage of Zyrtec for dog allergies is:
- Dogs over 10 lbs: Give one 10mg tablet once daily
- Dogs under 10 lbs: Give one-half of a 10mg tablet once daily
Zyrtec (cetirizine) usually takes approximately 30 minutes to start working.
Always make sure to check with your veterinarian before giving your pet Zyrtec (cetirizine), especially if your pet is on any other supplements or medications.
Use Zyrtec in caution in pets that are pregnant have seizures or other health conditions.
You can use generic versions of Zyrtec, but make sure that the medication you are using contains only cetirizine and NO other ingredients, as these other ingredients could be harmful to your dog.
Vinegar is also another home remedy to relieve itchy skin and allergies for your pets.
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Allergy Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing allergy challenges.
- Learn more about dog allergies.
- Switch to a Limited Ingredient Diet. PET | TAO Limited Ingredient Diet is naturally low in foods that stimulate an allergic response.
- Supplement with medicinal mushrooms. PET | TAO Complement Immune Mushroom Blend eases inflammatory response and ease allergy symptoms.
- Try digestive enzymes and probiotics. PET | TAO Harmonize Gi boosts gut health and combats food allergens.
- Feed Freeze Dried Lung Treats. According to TCVM, Lung is on the same meridian as the skin. Therefore, lung treats help both breathing and skin allergies. Lung treats support lung and skin similar to a glandular supplement in a “like treats like” fashion.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog allergies Some good examples are: