Orthomolecular Veterinary Medicine:
Natural Skin Allergy Treatment for Animals
If your pet has allergies, orthomolecular medicine just might be the answer!
Dr. Wendell O. Belfield developed the orthomolecular nutritional approach to the treatment, prevention, and control of skin allergies for small animals.
Dr. Belfield was a veterinarian and a pioneer in promoting wholesome foods for pets.
In addition, he had a successful veterinary practice in San Jose, California. In his practice, he dedicated his professional life to creating and improving orthomolecular therapies for small animals.
Orthomolecular medicine is an amazing natural skin allergy treatment for dogs and cats.
It utilizes the following supplements to rebuild normal body functions and alleviate skin allergies.
- Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate)
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin E
In the studies done by Dr. Wendell O. Belfield, every patient on the protocol showed great improvement.
Dr. Belfield also indicates many of the patients were able to totally eliminate the need for hormones, tranquilizers, antihistamines, and corticosteroids.
Orthomolecular therapy requires approximately six weeks to cause the body to adjust to the biochemical changes and show the final desired results.
How Does The Orthomolecular Natural Skin Allergy Treatment Work?
Orthomolecular medicine is a form of alternative medicine. The philosophy is health is maintained through nutritional supplementation.
Orthomolecular medicine works by:
- Optimizing immune function through immunotherapy
- Preventing the destruction of skin cells
- Optimizing adrenal function
- Detoxifying histamines.
- The Orthomolecular Natural Skin Allergy Treatment Protocol
The following is a list of supplements and dosages to use according to your pet’s weight.
Vitamin C in the Form of Crystalline Sodium Ascorbate
Administer to a bowel tolerance level. Sodium ascorbate improves immune function and detoxifies histamines.
- ¼ tsp for animals under 25 lbs
- ½ tsp for animals 25-50 lbs
- ¾ tsp for animals 50-100 lbs
- 1 tsp for animals 100-150 lbs.
Mix the amount into your pet’s moist food (not kibble) daily.
Increase the dosage of Sodium Ascorbate by ⅛ tsp (animals under 25 lbs) or ¼ tsp (animals over 25 lbs) daily.
When the animal develops loose stools (the stool loses its cylindrical form), decrease the dosage by one increment.
This is the bowel tolerance level.
Administer by weight:
- 800 IU for animals under 25 lbs
- 1600 IU for animals 25-50 lbs
- 2400 IU animals 50-100 lbs
- 3200 IU for animals 100-150 lbs
Administer by weight:
- 10,000 IU for animals under 25 lbs
- 20,000 IU for animals 25-50 lbs
- 30,000 IU for animals 50-100 lbs
- 40,000 IU for animals 100-150 lbs
Administer by weight:
- 20 ug for animals under 25 lbs
- 40 ug for animals 25-50 lbs
- 60 ug for animals 50-100 lbs
- 80 ug for animals 100-150 lbs
When the patient is asymptomatic or the maximum results have been achieved, the patient should be switched to the following maintenance protocol.
- ¼ tsp Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate)
- 100 IU Vitamin E
- 1240 IU Vitamin A
- 2.5 ug Selenium
- ½ tsp Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate)
- 400 IU Vitamin E
- 5,000 IU Vitamin A
- 10 ug Selenium
- ¾ tsp Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate)
- 600 IU Vitamin E
- 7,500 IU Vitamin A
- 15 ug Selenium
- 1 tsp Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbate)
- 800 IU Vitamin E
- 10,000 IU Vitamin A
- 20 ug Selenium
It is also important to be aware that animals may regress when under stress. If this occurs and the symptoms re-appear, return immediately to the initial treatment protocol.
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Allergy Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing allergy challenges.
- Learn more about dog allergies.
- Learn more about cat allergies.
- Switch to a Limited Ingredient Diet. PET | TAO Limited Ingredient Diet is naturally low in foods that stimulate an allergic response.
- Supplement with medicinal mushrooms. PET | TAO Complement Immune Mushroom Blend eases inflammatory response and eases allergy symptoms.
- Try digestive enzymes and probiotics. PET | TAO Harmonize Gi boosts gut health and combats food allergens.
- Feed Freeze Dried Lung Treats. According to TCVM, Lung is on the same meridian as the skin. Therefore, lung treats help both breathing and skin allergies. Lung treats support lung and skin similar to a glandular supplement in a “like treats like” fashion.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog allergies Some good examples are: