A Question for Dr. Smith About Benign Masses and Tumors in Dogs
Hi Dr. Marc,
I'm from Wisconsin and they told me to email you my questions. I have a 15 yr. old lab with a benign shoulder tumor (and other benign masses). It is interfering with her mobility. Our traditional vet was going to remove it, but we found out the pup has a heart arrhythmia and also a slow valve pump function. So she saw a cardiologist who put her on heart medicine with the intention of moving forward with surgery. Pup rejected the medicine, made her sick, and developed pneumonia (possibly from medicine/silent regurgitation), so it was discontinued. The pup also has bouts of pneumonia (that began last spring and were due to bacteria during an indoor swim, complicated by possible laryngeal paralysis).
Our traditional vet is open to eastern medicine but doesn't know anything about it. Our ortho vet who does Chinese medicine wanted to start Wei qi booster with max's formula to shrink benign tumors. The concern would be silent regurgitation/more pneumonia developing. The ortho vet had also done acupuncture with laser and e-stim on her. After they discovered the heart conditions we were advised to stop the e-stim because of the heart arrhythmia...it could disrupt her heart even more. We were referred to water rehab and pt at another location. The vet there said no water rehab because of pneumonia, only gentle acupuncture with chiropractic. She does not think the herbs, Wei qi booster, and max's formula would shrink the tumor. Our other vet has had some success with shrinking benign tumors with this combo.
Your receptionist suggested I ask your opinion and if you have any other herbal suggestions. Thanks, Lisa
Dr. Smith's Reply:
What is the tumor? lipoma? it sounds like a lipoma! If it is indeed a lipoma, these herbals are fine to use. I might also use Phlegm fat formula. This is the herbal of choice for lipomas! It will not shrink the tumor entirely but will shrink it to some degree and may help ambulation. I would try it for three months and re-evaluate.
What if My Dog's Masses and Tumors are Not Benign?
You might not be aware, but many cancer-fighting tools are easy to get and use at home.
To realize your true cancer-fighting potential:
- Learn more about dog cancer.
- Ease your dog's discomfort naturally. PET | TAO Comfort is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog's and make him/her more comfortable. (Note: Comfort is not for cats).
- Boost your pet's immune system with medicinal mushrooms. PET | TAO Complement Immune Mushroom Blend blends together the most powerful immune-boosting medicinal mushrooms on the market in a single product.
- Ease your pet's stomach upset naturally. Many pets with cancer suffer stomach upset as well. PET | TAO Harmonize GI naturally provides all the digestive enzymes and probiotics your pet needs for optimum gut health.
- Try PET | TAO Freeze Dried Beef Spleen Treats. According to TCVM, the spleen helps with digestion and assimilation. Both are challenges often faced by pets suffering from cancer. As few as 5-6 treats per day can make a huge difference in your pet's health!
- Try a Blood-building TCVM Diet. According to TCVM theory, pets suffering from cancer also often suffer from Blood deficiency. Blood deficiency may due to chemotherapy or cancer itself. PET | TAO Zing dog food builds Blood. You can also try home-cooking for your pet.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for pet cancer challenges and palliative care. Some good examples are: