From the Desk of Dr. Marc Smith…
A Question for the Doctor:
Hello Dr. Smith,
I have a 8 year old Pitt Bull mix named Sassy, her first cancer diagnosis was on August 6th of 2013 and it is MCT (Mast Cell Tumor), it started out like a pimple and she had it for a couple years it was the size between a nickel and a quarter when it ruptured and we had to have it removed. It was a grade 2. She was on 40mg of prednisone for about 3 months but we stopped because she had a reaction and we didn’t like her behavior. At the end of November 2013 a second tumor came back at the incision site and we had it removed on December 9th 2013, clean margins grade 3. January 2014 one more came back on the incision then three more staggering down her right shoulder. The three are between dime and quarter size. The tumor on the incision is 1in to 2in in diameter and 1/2in raised and is still growing. It is oozing and bleeding. She isn’t on any meds for cancer. In February 2014 our vet gave us a diagnosis of 3 to 6 months. I have some questions for you regarding the use of black salve:
- How much does treatment cost?
- What is the success rate?
- Do the patients seem like they are in pain?
- Can I order the salve from you or do you have to see her first?
- Do you know of any other holistic vets closer to Louisville Ky?
- If I can’t order the salve from you where would you recommend me buying it from?
- How long do treatments last , how long does it take the slave to work and then heal?
- Do you need to see the patient first?
- Do you think its too late?
- Is it worth it?
Thank you so much for your help and I look forward to hearing a response from you.
Dr. Smith’s Reply:
Below are the answers to your questions in red! I am a lso assuming when you say”black salve” you are talking about bloodroot or neoplasene.
- How much does treatment cost? The treatment costs 300-750 depending on what you are using i.e. injectable, paste and or oral.
- What is the success rate? The medicine works pretty well depending on size, grade and/or number of tumors.
- Do the patients seem like they are in pain? No! maybe a little discomfort but not acute pain.
- Can I order the salve from you or do you have to see her first? Veterinarian needs to see the animal to properly inform you of treatment expectations and so forth.
- Do you know of any other holistic vets closer to Louisville Ky? Yes! You can look at www.tcvm.com or pettao.com to find one.
- If I can’t order the salve from you where would you recommend me buying it from? A veterinarian in your area.
- How long do treatments last , how long does it take the slave to work and then heal? there are different protocols depending on the extent of the masses. In general, i use paste 5 days on and 5 days and evaluate.
- Do you need to see the patient first? yes!
- Do you think its too late? Hard to say! If systemic signs are present like anemia and lethargy, then may not be effective.
- Is it worth it? If the tumors are grade 1 or 2, then yes! if tumors have spread to regional lymph node, then its tough.