What is Hyaluronic Acid Arthritis Treatment?
Hyaluronic acid, also called hyaluronan or hyaluronate, is an anionic, nonsulfated glycosaminoglycan naturally present in the human body.
It is found in the body’s connective, epithelial and neural tissues.
Hyaluronic acid is commonly prescribed to humans orally or by injection for arthritis, osteoarthritis, and joint disorders.
How does it work?
Hyaluronic acid has been found helpful in the treatment of arthritis, osteoarthritis, and joint problems influenced by mechanical overload during high-impact physical activity, repeated trauma, joint instability, the metabolic processes associated with aging, and body mass index related to obesity and hereditary factors.
Hyaluronic acid has been successfully used for many years to treat horses.
The scientific community recognizes that hyaluronic acid therapy:
- Stimulates production of healthy joint fluid
- Decreases damage to articular cartilage
- Decreases synovial fluid inflammatory mediators
When injected, hyaluronic acid can stimulate cells in the synovial fluid to produce it’s own joint fluid, helping lubricate the soft tissue structures of the joint.
It also helps remove the plasma and white blood cells that cause inflammation and breaking down of cartilage within the joint.
In addition, in field studies with the Legend brand of hyaluronic acid, clinical improvement was judged to be good to excellent in 90% of cases treated intravenously.
How Our Clinic Uses Hyaluronic Acid
Our clinics have had great success using hyaluronic acid as an injection in the treatment of arthritis and joint issues.
Our standard protocol consists of:
- A loading dose of one injection per week for three weeks
- One injection per month afterward as needed
At Natchez Trace Veterinary Services, the hyaluronic acid arthritis treatment can be used or in combination with any one or more of the following options depending on the situation with the pet and the goals of the owner.
Hyaluronic acid injections work well in combination with:
Hyaluronic Acid Arthritis Treatment: Scientific Research
Resources backing Hyaluronic Acid as an arthritis treatment include:
- Effect of Intra-articular Injection of Hyaluronic Acid on the Clinical Symptoms of Osteoarthritis and on Granulation Tissue Formation
- Hyaluronic Acid
- Hyaluronic acid in synovial fluid. I. Molecular parameters of hyaluronic acid in normal and arthritic human fields.
- Intra-articular Hyaluronic Acid in Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis. A Meta-analysis.
- Kawcak, CE; Frisbee, DD; Trotter, GW; McIlwraith, CW; Gillette, SM; Powers, BE; Walton, RM: Effects of intravenous administration of sodium hyaluronate on carpal joints in exercising horse after arthroscopic surgery and osteochondral fragmentation. AJVR Vol. 58, No. 110, October 1997
- Morphological analysis of articular cartilage biopsies from a randomized, clinical study comparing the effects of 500-730 dKa sodium hyaluronate and methylprednisolone acetate on primary osteoarthritis of the knee.
- Sportlight on Equine Joint Osteoarthritis:
- The role of hyaluronic acid (hyaluronan) in health and disease: interactions with cells, cartilage and components of synovial fluid.
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Arthritis Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing dog arthritis pain.
- Learn more about dog arthritis.
- Try cooking for your dog or feeding a high-quality dog food. Home-cooked diets and wet food help keep your pet from gaining too much weight. In turn, less weight means less stress on your dog’s bones and joints. PET | TAO Chill and Blaze are top choices for arthritic dogs.
- Ease your dog’s discomfort naturally. PET | TAO Comfort is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog’s arthritic challenges to make him/her more comfortable.
- Provide joint support. PET | TAO Harmonize Joint is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements working together to lubricate and restore your dog’s joints.
- Try Freeze Dried Kidney Treats. According to TCVM, Kidney controls the bones and joints and supports arthritic challenges in a “like treats like” manner.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog arthritis. Some good examples are:
- Di Gu Pi San
- Dok’s Formula
- Wei Qi Booster