The best treatment for dog elbow arthritis is fairly simple and straightforward. However, you must remember that treating elbow arthritis successfully is tough. With the owner’s consent, I pull out every trick in the book.
Best Medicines for Elbow Arthritis
- NSAID-Previcox is my favorite.
- Adequan PSGAG.
- Hyaluronic Acid (Legend)-off label usage.
- Zeel homeopathic.
- Prolotherapy with Zeel or other tincture.
- Intra-articular steroids.
You must remember that some dogs need treatment more frequently than others. One size does not fit all when it comes to dog elbow arthritis. Age, season off the year, body composition and other maladies can all affect your treatment strategy and ultimate success.
- Start with prolotherapy around periphery of elbow every 3 weeks for 3-4 treatments.
- Initiate Adequan; 1 injection every 4-5 days for 8 injections, then 1 injection every 2 weeks.
- Legend! Remember this is off label! I double the horse dose and give IV for 3 injections and then monthly.
- Zeel tablets orally!
Then, I wait and see how the patient is doing. I get feedback from the owner. If the owner is happy, then we stay the course. If the owner wants more, then I go to the NSAID’s and injections into the joint. It all depends on the patient!!