Or, you can use the generic form of Benadryl, Diphenhydramine.
Diphenhydramine, or Benadryl, is an easy-to-find antihistamine used for treating humans with allergies.
How Can Benadryl Help My Dog?
If your dog suffers common allergy symptoms, Diphenhydramine may help.
Benadryl helps dogs suffering:
- Seasonal allergy symptoms like a runny nose or watery eyes
- Skin allergy symptoms
- Anxiety while traveling or motion sickness
- Itchy insect bites
- Reactions to poison oak or poison ivy
- Other itchy, allergy-like situations.
However, always double-check the package label and make sure the only active ingredient in the product is diphenhydramine.
The Standard Recommended Dosage
For dogs, the standard recommended dosage is 1 mg/lb every 8 to 12 hours, given two to three times daily.
We recommend starting at half the standard dose. Try a lower dose first to see if it alleviates the symptoms.
Then, if your dog’s symptoms don’t improve within an hour, add the difference to obtain the full dose.
If needed, a single dose can be doubled to 2 mg/lb.
However, giving a double dose is typically reserved for emergency situations, for example, if a snake bite or a wasp stings your dog.
Also, if you have a small dog, you may need to purchase children’s or infant Benadryl or the generic form for the correct dose. Remember, always look a the label to make sure there are no added ingredients!
Benadryl (diphenhydramine) usually takes approximately 30 minutes to an hour to start working and drowsiness is a common side effect.
Note: You shouldn’t give any medication to your dog without first checking with your vet! Dosages can differ depending on your dog’s breed, medical history, and other factors.
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Allergy Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing allergy challenges.
- Learn more about dog allergies.
- Switch to a Limited Ingredient Diet. PET | TAO Limited Ingredient Diet is naturally low in foods that stimulate an allergic response.
- Supplement with medicinal mushrooms. PET | TAO Complement Immune Mushroom Blend eases inflammatory response and eases allergy symptoms.
- Try digestive enzymes and probiotics. PET | TAO Harmonize Gi boosts gut health and combats food allergens.
- Feed Freeze Dried Lung Treats. According to TCVM, Lung is on the same meridian as the skin. Therefore, lung treats help both breathing and skin allergies. Lung treats support lung and skin similar to a glandular supplement in a “like treats like” fashion.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog allergies Some good examples are: