Western Dog Arthritis Treatments
I see and treat arthritis all the time. So let me give you a brief overview of the most common dog arthritis treatments.
In this post, there is no way to cover all of the treatments.
So I will just touch on a few so that you know there are more options than just Rimadyl or Previcoxx.
Remember it depends on the dog’s age, breed, problem, and other health issues.
The most common medicines used for arthritis are by far NSAID’s.
Rimadyl, Previcoxx, Deramaxx, and Metacam are the most common by far.
They all work in the same way and they all have the same side effects.
And yes, they are all relatively expensive with the exception of Mobic (human approved Metacam.)
Bloodwork before and during treatment is best to monitor side effects.
Tramadol falls into this category.
I don’t use it much because I don’t think it works.
Also, it is a controlled substance in Tennessee.
Adequan and Legend are the most common.
These products work because they supply the joint fluid with the precursor molecules to make more joint fluid.
I use both of these products all the time and oftentimes use them together.
Adequan is labeled for dogs; however, Legend is not – only horses.
Legend has to be given IV while Adequan can be given IM. Both of these do a great job and have virtually no side effects.
I don’t use them very often but many people do.
I feel as if the other products are more effective.
Alternative Dog Arthritis Treatments
Where do we start?
Tons of alternative treatment options exist.
Treating chronic disease is the best use of alternative medicine particularly Eastern Medicine.
Why? Because you get results while minimizing or eliminating the risks of side effects.
Acupuncture, Eastern Herbals, fish oils, Zeel and Traumeel all work.
The beauty rests in the ability to integrate Western with Alternative in treating chronic disease like arthritis.
My favorite is probably joint lubricants with alternative medicines.
You eliminate side effects and really get good bang for your buck.
More Powerful Tools for Overcoming Dog Arthritis Challenges
There are many quick and easy changes you can make at home to help you give your dog an edge on easing dog arthritis pain.
- Learn more about dog arthritis.
- Try cooking for your dog or feeding a high-quality dog food. Home-cooked diets and wet food help keep your pet from gaining too much weight. In turn, less weight means less stress on your dog’s bones and joints. PET | TAO Chill and Blaze are top choices for arthritic dogs.
- Ease your dog’s discomfort naturally. PET | TAO Comfort is a blend of Eastern herbs and Western supplements to soothe your dog’s arthritic challenges to make him/her more comfortable.
- Provide joint support. PET | TAO Harmonize Joint is a blend of herbs and supplements working together to lubricate and restore your dog’s joints.
- Try Freeze Dried Kidney Treats. According to TCVM, Kidney controls the bones and joints and supports arthritic challenges in a “like treats like” manner.
- Learn more about TCVM Herbal Remedies. Chinese medicine offers many amazing natural solutions for dog arthritis. Some good examples are: