Loranthus Formula is a TCVM (Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine) herbal blend that helps arthritis, chronic joint pain, and degenerative joint disease in dogs, cats, and horses.
The Western Medical indications for this formula are arthritis, chronic joint pain, degenerative joint disease (DJD), hip dysplasia, intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), and rheumatism.
The Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine indications for this formula are chronic bony bi-syndrome due to Kidney Yang Deficiency, coldness in the back and extremities, heat seeking, a pulse that is deep and weak, soft stool, stiffness worse at Cold/Damp, and a tongue that is pale and wet. The TCVM contraindications for this formula are the Yin deficient signs of excessive thirst, panting, and heat intolerance, and administration should be stopped immediately if the patient shows signs of vomiting or diarrhea.
At our clinic, pets often receive an Eastern exam (Traditional Chinese Medicine) in combination with the standard veterinary exam. Traditional Chinese Medicine philosophy is very different than our standard Western medical philosophy. Traditional Chinese Medicine focuses on balance and finding the cause of the problem rather than simply masking symptoms with prescription medicines. Through Eastern examination techniques, we can choose herbal blends that will both treat symptoms and at the same time correct the imbalances in your pet’s body that are causing the symptoms. This herb is only one of the many TCM herbal blends available for our doctors to choose from based on the results of the Eastern exam.
Loranthus Formula is an herbal blend specially formulated with herbs specifically chosen to work synergistically to relieve symptoms of arthritis, chronic joint pain, degenerative joint disease (DJD), hip dysplasia, intervertebral disc disease (IVDD), and rheumatism while at the same time addressing the underlying causes of these symptoms. The Chinese principles of treatment for this herbal blend are to tonify the Kidney, warm Yang, strengthen the back and limbs, and dispel Wind-Cold-Damp The main ingredients in the Loranthus Formula are:
- Chuan Niu Xi (Cyathula) to Tonify kidney yang and strengthen back/limbs
- Chuan Xiong (Ligusticum) to invigorate blood and relieve pain
- Dang Gui (Angelica) to nourish blood, invigorate Blood, and relieve pain
- Du Huo (Angelica) to clear Wind-Damp
- Du Zhong (Eucommia) to tonify Kidney Yang and strengthen the back
- Fang Feng (Ledebouriella) to clear Wind and open the body surface
- Fu Ling (Poria) to drain Damp and strengthen Spleen
- Gan Cao (Glycyrrhiza) to harmonize
- Qin Jiao (Gentiana) to clear Wind-Damp and nourish Yin
- Rou Gui (Cinnamomum) to warm Kidney Yang
- Sang Ji Sheng (Loranthus) to tonify Kidney and Liver and clear Wind-Damp
- Xiao Hui Xiang (Foeniculum) to warm Kidney Yang and dispel Cold
This herbal blend is derived from the ancient Chinese herbal formula Sang Ji Sheng San.
Our clients have seen wonderful improvements in the health conditions of their pets using herbal blends to take care of a variety of health issues.
Please contact our clinic at any time if you have questions about herbal remedies!
Source: Dr. Xie’s Jing Tang Herbal
Written by: Becki Baumgartner